Sunday 17 May 2009

Bridal Shoot: Lotherton Hall

A couple of weeks ago, I had a rather large shoot at Lotherton Hall in West Yorkshire.

Lotherton Hall is an impressive Edwardian mansion, formally the home of the Gascoigne family surrounded by stunning formal gardens, a deer park and many other features in this very impressive Estate. 

I had a stunning model, Vivienne Edge, who I had been talking to for some time and one of the things that she has said that she wanted to do, was a bridal shoot.
I contacted a make up artist, Bethany Hawkins to see if she would be interested in the shoot and we discussed ideas further.

As I wasn't working with a stylist, I organised the wardrobe, props and jewellery.
I bought all of the dresses, including the wedding dress for the shoot as I have plans to use it again for a couple of other ideas. I'm not going to tell you how much I paid for the wedding dress, all I'm going to say is that it was new, never worn and absolutely stunning. The staff at Lotherton Hall spent all morning guessing how much I had paid for it and when I eventually told them, they didn't believe me!

Vivienne

Because of the arrangement of the shoot, I had also contacted Lotherton Hall for permissions to shoot on their property as for a shoot of this nature, I felt that the location would be perfect. They were so helpful and will be using some of the images from the shoot for their website as they have just started to offer a wedding service in the mansion/museum.

Vivienne

Lotherton Hall had kindly agreed to allow us access to the house and the grounds for a whole day so we had plenty of time to shoot. Unfortunately the weather was quite disappointing that day. Although it was quite bright, it rained on and off so we were confined to the house for the majority of the day.

Vivienne

This wasn't as much of a problem as it could have been though. I had arranged the shoot for mid-week so that it was quiet without too many guests and so that we wouldn't cause too much disruption. The house was huge and there were so many rooms and windows to make use of, we weren't short of locations.

Vivienne

In the afternoon, it finally dried up a little. But by this time, we had done a make up change and had begun to do the evening dress shots, although we did manage to get a couple of bridal shots in the grounds in between the bursts of rain. We had planned a couple of dress and make up changes though as we had so much time we wanted to make the most of the opportunity.

Vivienne

We used two evening dresses. The first, a mauve designer evening dress and the second, another designer dress but in a Charleston 1920's style cream dress with long satin gloves as I thought that it would work so well with the location.

Vivienne

The shoot went so well and I was really pleased with the shots, as were Vivienne and Bethany.
There are more images from the shoot on my Flickr page (please use the link in the bar at the top of my blog) and they have gone down very well on Flickr with other photographers as evident from the comments and favourite tags.

Vivienne

I would have liked the weather to have been better and have been able to use lights but due to health and safety reasons, I was not able too. All being said, the windows were huge and the natural light worked really well. I can't wait to do more shoots on the same scale as this one!

I will put up more detailed feedback from both Vivienne and Bethany soon as well as let you know what Lotherton Hall thought of the images and when they will be on display on the Lotherton Hall website.

Model: Vivienne Edge
Make Up: Bethany Hawkins
Styling & Wardrobe: Me
Photography & Post Processing: Me

No comments:

Blog Archive


About Me...

Photographer based in Dawlish, Devon. I'm available for weddings, portraits and commissions.

Please see my website for further details.


* Please note that all images in this blog are © Eleanor Stobbart unless stated otherwise. Please do not use these images without the permission of the copyright owner. *