Tuesday 29 April 2008

Whitby Goth Festival

I felt in dire need of a day out at the weekend to escape the suffocation of this city and to get some fresh air.
I thought Whitby would be a nice idea as I miss the coast so much and then I discovered that Whitby Goth Festival was on! No, I didn't get dressed up, I overslept so there wasn't enough time and I also didn't think it would be very practical while lugging camera equipment around.

When we arrived I was quite surprised...there weren't many 'Goths' at all...until we got right into the town centre and it was exactly what I had hoped - hardly any of these 'teeny bopper goths' as I call them, there were REAL GOTHS! YAY!
By this I mean Gothic not 'goth' - Gothic being Medieval, Edwardian, Victorian etc etc - traditional gothic with culture.

Unfortunately, this type of goth is rarely applicable to the younger generation who have no idea what real Gothic is all about so as you can imagine, most of the people showing off their favourite outfits and feeling quite comfortable for once were in their 30's and there was this wonderful couple who must have been in their 60's who looked absolutely fabulous. My favourite outfit had to be the nice red Edwardian dress though, without a doubt!

The main let down was that the place was crawling with middle age, fat, balding, smelly, greasy, chauvinistic, think-they-are-pro's men! Grrrrr I HATE THEM SOOOOO MUCH!
You can tell they aren't pros because they are rude, they shove, use the wrong equipment and blatantly try to act like they are. From my experience, real pro's are generally quite pleasant, helpful and respectable, so I doubt very much that most of them there were pros.
Also, the middle age wanna-be's always scowl at me in particular and pulling face and making snide comments such as 'what the hell is she doing with a camera like that!' just like I get when I go to the zoo or anywhere else with my camera.

I'm not a pro, I don't consider myself to be and I know I have a lot to learn but at the same time, and as big headed as it may sound, I can do a lot better than a lot of these people and just because they are older and male, doesn't make them better or right.
I was the ONLY female there with an SLR, in fact, I don't remember seeing any women with cameras at all!

Anyway, enough of my moaning about these ignorant men...here are a few photos of the wonderful outfits that were on show, and amazing they were!

No comments:

Blog Archive


About Me...

Photographer based in Dawlish, Devon. I'm available for weddings, portraits and commissions.

Please see my website for further details.


* Please note that all images in this blog are © Eleanor Stobbart unless stated otherwise. Please do not use these images without the permission of the copyright owner. *