Thursday 22 October 2009

Landscapes: Malhamdale

Although I haven't written much on here about my current uni projects, I have been up to quite a bit!
I have decided to focus on landscape photography for both the current project and my dissertation so the direction of my work has changed quite dramatically.

It has been quite some time since I last did some landscape photography and it doesn't seem to be coming as easily as it used to. I'm not sure if it is because I have spent the last 18 months focusing on portraiture and model portfolios, using more and more flash lighting and not so much natural light, not to mention that they are nearly two completely different entities with specific techniques and skills to match.

Anyway, I decided to head up to Malham for a day of shooting.
The weather had forecast clear skies at silly o'clock and cloudy with sunny spells for the rest of the day..... they lied!! I was in Malham for sunrise and as the sky began to light up, it was cloudy. Very, very cloudy. Grrr! So that spoilt that plan and none of the sunrise images came out anywhere near how I would have liked them to.

Malhamdale

I stayed in Malham for most of the day, and still it remained overcast and cloudy.
After the sunrise location, I headed up to Gordale Scar and Janet's Foss (which was just a trickle compared to my last visit up there). By this time it was about 8am and the campers were still hiding away in their tents (not that I blame them)! So while it was quiet, I made a little time to Geocache :) but..... (I was having a very bad day), I didn't have enough signal for my GPS to work! I remembered the location clues and managed to find the cache anyway but I couldn't hunt down the others as the GPS just wasn't playing ball.

Malham Cove

After this, I went for a bit of a wander and headed up to the top of Malham Cove along the limestone pavement. It seemed so surreal, all the lime stone running over the fields like a river up to the cove with such an immense drop.
The views were beautiful, it was just a shame about the weather. It would have been perfect had there been a nice sky with huge clouds casting shadows across the landscape.

Fingers crossed for Northumberland!

No comments:

Blog Archive


About Me...

Photographer based in Dawlish, Devon. I'm available for weddings, portraits and commissions.

Please see my website for further details.


* Please note that all images in this blog are © Eleanor Stobbart unless stated otherwise. Please do not use these images without the permission of the copyright owner. *