Friday 10 October 2008

Collections: Maps

I couldn't resist! I love OS maps, they are amazing and now I have them all for the UK on my laptop! Now this is just asking for trouble...



Anyway, the flags shown on the road map above are all locations that I have pinpointed as possibilities for Landscape Photography for this brief.

How did I find them? Well...

I spent a good few hours going through the Yorkshire Group's pool on Flickr and seeing where other people have been and taken photographs. So I marked down the locations that I particularly liked.

I have also marked Saltwick Bay and Black Nab (near Whitby) as this is a beautiful location for coastal photography. And having worked for the National Trust, the amount of photographic greetings cards that came through the Buying office of this area has given me a pretty good idea of the potential for this location.

My neighbour is also a very good source of information as she has always lived here. She suggested a few places including Asygarth Falls where they filmed part of Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves.
This in turn got me thinking about film locations and Pride & Prejudice particularly sprang to mind. I really like the shot of Lizzie Bennett stood at the top of a rocky peak overlooking the valley...Stanage Edge, East of Sheffield.

I also visited the Bronte Parsonage Museum recently and I found the location of Ponden Kirk which is thought to have been 'Penistone Crags' in Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights as well as other locations that are thought to have inspired the novels written by the sisters.

So, I really don't think I will be at a loss for locations or inspiration for landscape photography!

No comments:

Blog Archive


About Me...

Photographer based in Dawlish, Devon. I'm available for weddings, portraits and commissions.

Please see my website for further details.


* Please note that all images in this blog are © Eleanor Stobbart unless stated otherwise. Please do not use these images without the permission of the copyright owner. *