Tuesday 10 February 2009

Com Tech: What I want to achieve from this project...

Tonight is going to be the first outdoor night shoot for this project.
I have spent hours and hours reading up on the technique and technical knowledge required so that I can experiment a little more and I'm actually feeling quite daunted by this shoot now as there is so much that you need to know about this technique! I have also spent a substantial amount of time on Flickr looking at other people's images and the EXIF data (camera settings used) as well as looking at the time and date that they were taken so that I can be set up and be ready to take my shots when the light is right for what I want to achieve.

I also have some ideas for competition entries so I am going to 'test shoot' these tonight but I'm not going to tell you anymore about that as I want the shots as unique as possible. So until I have the final shots that I am happy with and have entered the competitions I'm not letting on anymore to anyone!

There are quite a few things that I want to get out of this project and so far, my list is as follows;

  • More photographic experience and control in low light situations
  • Increase my technical knowledge and practical experience of functions and settings including 'Mirror lock up' and 'Bulb'.
  • Experiment with filters (star refraction, gradients etc)
  • Increase and expand my photographic portfolio
  • Learn to handle light flares
  • Experiment with long exposures
  • Learn how to capture star trails and images of the night sky
  • Increase my knowledge of Photoshop with image blending and HDR (High Dynamic Range) to name a couple of things
  • Oh, and make more use of my tripod!

I'm also hoping that this project will increase my confidence to go out and take photographs in public places and in the city after dark as I am a little uneasy of what situations could occur especially due to the value of the equipment. However, I do have a nice high pitched personal alarm that will be coming with me as normal and Josh will be coming too as well as Steph and Ben, so there should be at least 3 or 4 of us.

I have another motive for this project... I hate living in the city and I find it quite ugly and gloomy so... I am hoping that this will enable me to find a want to make the city and urban landscapes more attractive to both myself and anyone else who isn't an enthusiast of cities.

I would also like to try some Ariel Photography but this really isn't feasible right now, so I would like to be able to take some images of the views from high-rise buildings in the city. I have already contacted a few of the taller buildings for access permissions but this is proving a lot harder than I had thought it would be as most of them have not replied...I think I will have to pop in and speak to someone rather than sending a formal request via email!
I will keep you updated on this idea though as soon as I know more...

No comments:

Blog Archive


About Me...

Photographer based in Dawlish, Devon. I'm available for weddings, portraits and commissions.

Please see my website for further details.


* Please note that all images in this blog are © Eleanor Stobbart unless stated otherwise. Please do not use these images without the permission of the copyright owner. *